Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dreaming

I haven’t worked in a restaurant since 2000, but last night I had a waitressing nightmare. I was back at Essenhaus, in the family style area, in section 2 where Fran, a lead waitress, would frequently stick me. The evening was just beginning, and my tables quickly began to fill up. The only water glasses I could find were these stupid little one-gulp Dixie paper cups, and the only available tray was a tiny paper plate that soggily gave way when I loaded it. I had begun the afternoon so cheerfully, but quickly began to panic as more and more tables of hungry people began to glare at me, and the other servers casually watched me go down in flames, hollering at me to keep up my section work, which oddly enough happened to be stocking water glasses. I couldn’t remember how to explain the dining method of “family style,” so my tables were confused when ordering, and I certainly couldn’t remember how to write the ticket, so I knew the kitchen servers would be annoyed…I could just hear Hazel’s gravelly voice.

Thank goodness I woke up to a different kind of circus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaahhh, what a restful night :). Jan

Anonymous said...

What a horrible reminder of those nightmares only one who's worked in food service can truly appreciate. I remember one where my whole section of people at Der Dutchman were sitting there after the resturant closed (everyone gone, lights off, etc.) waiting for their checks. I couldn't get back to let them go, either -- my movements were in super slow motion. . .

I'm convinced God has a sense of humor -- these kind of potentially possible dreams seem to be one of the best ways to make you relieved that your life is what it is :)

shaunjoy said...

Ahhh, prego dreams...those are always the most entertaining!

Sabrina said...

I had really crazy dreams when I was pregnant too. Hope your pregnancy is going well. How much longer do you have until your due date?

sherri said...

So funny, Joyce. Isn't it funny how you dream about things you haven't thought of or done for years sometimes.

Wynette said...

I was just talking about waitressing nightmares to a friend who was also a waitress but never had them! My favorite (is that the right word?) was a few years after I had quit working. I dreamed I was back at the same restaurant, but they had a new menu and a new computer system and I was slammed! AUGH!