Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Electric's Cooking!

Jason and I just got back from a "week-inning" (not a weekend) in Orange Beach, Alabama. Completely paid for by our dear, beloved Southern Pine Electric Cooperative. We were more than happy to accept the invitation to the 32nd annual Alabama Co-op Couples Conference. Around 37 couples from all over the state attended, representing various co-ops. We had a few meetings during the days, free time in the afternoons, entertainment in the evenings, an optional dolphin cruise, optional golf, great meals and great drinks. Jason and I just couldn't believe it the whole time. We even won some nice cash from having our names drawn to play a slightly-less-than-cripplingly-embarrassing Newlywed Game. We were sent home with a goody bag with some extremely awesome stuff in it--as in not just a pen and a chintzy plastic travel mug. We really enjoyed the whole time, but in quiet moments, our thrifty Mennonite minds sort of scratched their heads, thinking what a colossal waste of money. But then again, are there any Mennonites in the marketing business? Which is what the time was, in effect. Just plain old advertising, aimed very specifically at people who are likely to benefit them the most. And it works--co-operatives are winning my loyalty and I will be promoting them however I can. So buy Bonnie Plants for your garden, everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! Glad you could do something like that. Do they do that every year? Is this the first time? Karis has roseola...Suzy got it at VBS and Kaiya was with us over the weekend...so I guess it may make its rounds.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am new at this posting thing...that was me up there if you didn't get it from "Karis" info...

Anonymous said...

And sorry again to Krista for making poor Karis sick on her 1st birthday!
Joyce sounds great. What a nice little get away....but really don't you have even one picture to share with us from this event??? :O)

Cottonista said...

Ooh, sorry Krista! I hate to hear my little niece is sick. I hope it's not too awful, and I hope Sherri can be spared.

Heather, not even one picture. I took the camera, but really didn't think to get it out--no one else was snapping pictures--and it's not like me to up and take pictures of total strangers. Plus the afternoon we picked to hit the beach, it rained, so we didn't get scenery. However, we did have our picture taken by a photographer they had come one evening right before supper. (They took couple's pictures inside against a white wall, so I'm sure I'll look GREAT, instead of out by the pool, which had been the plan. This was the rainy day--go figure.)

Carrie said...

I'm jealous. Where's MY free vacation????