Saturday, March 10, 2012

Our Two-Month-Old

Can't believe this little sweetie has been here for two months already!  In some ways, it seems so much longer than that.  But sleep deprivation has been known to mess with my perception of time, among other things.

In two months, Henry has climbed from the 25th to the 50th percentile for weight, and now is 11 pounds, 11 ounces.  He does love to eat.  My goal was to give him a bottle feeding every evening, to keep him "sharable."  We started out great with that, but I forgot to keep it going.  He will still take a bottle, but he dribbles and messes around with it instead of getting down to business.  In the meantime, I forgot how active one can be while nursing a baby.  Manage the DVR recordings?   Sure!  Read MOPS training manuals? No problem!  Take something out of the oven?  Think I can manage that.  Get up and answer the phone?  Nah, they can leave a message!
His brothers and sister still adore him.  Helen is especially great at calming him, and takes a lot of pride in doing so.  Lately she told me, "Mom, I had to lift his head twice."  I didn't think much of it until a little Mommy-alarm went off in my head, and I asked her to show me how she had done it.  My five-year-old, while sitting, had scooped him up and bounced him, then clunked him back down on the floor.  I, with breath in check, calmly told her that was not an independent activity.  Little Mommy repeated a variation of that yesterday, which may have been worse.  I heard some small bonk-bonk-bonk that sounded like, and turned out to be, a tiny head tapping the floor.  Imagine that.
Henry just began to like the Exersaucer.  I was so happy to find a new (used) one on our church's yard sale.  So far the new toys have been attracting the older kids rather than entertaining the baby.  I had to remove the most obnoxious ones and hide them.  What is it with that?! 

I am so grateful for a happy baby.  We had a little taste of horrible fussiness when he got his immunizations. It lasted for two days.  I was ready to pull out my hair, or at least huddle in a corner and cry my eyes out.  Chocolate was definitely consumed.  This morning, that cranky baby changed back into my smiling sweetheart.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

A parting question:  What books are you reading right now?  These 15 to 20-minute feedings aren't going to go away, and I really should be using the time to expand my mind rather than drool over HGTV.

5 comments:

Grandma Ruby said...

So glad that Henry Fussy has become Henry Weber again! Looks as though Henry has plenty of help growing up. What a blessing he is to your little family! I need to order the book for you I told you about--"I'll Watch the Moon." Love you all!

Ashley said...

He is so cute & looks like he fits in perfectly =) I've been reading "Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality." I need to finish listening to the audio version of the book "Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches" (Rachel Jankovic) which so far has been amazing.

Ashley said...

Thanks for your encouragement on my blog posts, by the way ;)

Jodi said...

Cute pictures, Joyce! Your kids are beautiful. If you are looking for some good reads... I just read Radical, by David Platt. I would definitely recommend it. Also, I'm delving into The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure. The kids and I live and breath Laura Ingalls Wilder around here, so it's looking pretty promising. Happy nursing! (I liked the excuse to just sit down and not have to do anything when nursing...but by all means-be a multi tasker!)

Deb said...

Aww! Nice to get to know Henry a little via your blog. I can't give any book recommendations right now cuz I am a SLOOWWWW reader these days. But I have been enjoying watching "Downton Abbey" more than I thought I would. Check it out. I think you can stream it from the PBS website.