Monday, November 15, 2010

Helen Turns Four!!

I love celebrating my kids' birthdays, but for some reason, Helen's recent birthday was a hard one for me. The night before, I hovered in her room, telling her and myself this was her last night of being three. I think part of my sadness relates to the fact that we won't know her little sister as a three year old.

Here's the birthday girl on Sunday morning before church, posing nicely with the requested pink princess castle cake. Her sweetness quickly morphed into rocking the world with her silliness. (Motherly roll of eyes.)
The Castle. Those little pink candies are pink Whoppers. I can't bring myself to call them strawberry because the only thing strawberry about them is the picture on the box. After a futile nap attempt, we let the kids lounge while we all watched the New York City marathon and cheered for Meb and Shalane Flanagan.

Helen showed off her cake one more time. I think the most beautiful thing about this picture is the husband vacuuming in the background. Mawmaw was the first guest to arrive, and Jack could not stop belly laughing for the sheer joy of parties.We ate and then opened presents! Grandpa and Grandma Weber hit the jackpot with this preschool workbook. A huge artist's tablet and new paints from Uncle Brent and Aunt Jan were also well received by Miss Can-I-Paint-Mom-Can-I?!!And wonder of wonders--a musical jewelry box with a twirling angel ballerina from Uncle Conrad and Aunt Les! Well. What a pleased four-year-old girl we have!

9 comments:

Carrie said...

I love her expression as she is looking at that jewelry box. :) Also love her cake - you do such a great job on those things!! Happy birthday, Helen!

Kristin B. said...

Ah, little girls and their girlie things. So sweet, so precious! Happy Late Birthday, Helen!

Unknown said...

LOVE THAT CAKE!!! I may have to "borrow" that idea when Suzy turns 5. ;) Did you just shove the cones into the cake or what? Very cute! What a honey! I love her expression with her cake pictures. Priceless.

Cottonista said...

Thanks everyone for the cake love! ( : This was truly one of the easiest cakes I have ever done.

Heather, I cut off the bases of four cake cones and "glued" sugar cones on top of them with icing. The middle castle turret is a whole cone filled with icing. (I had to stabilize it with popsicle sticks jammed into the bottom and stuck deep into the cake.) I hope you do use it for Suzy! It was fun to make.

Anonymous said...

Allison says, "there is Hewen's cake. Can I have some??" :)

shaunjoy said...

Beautiful cake and a ballerina box just like I always wanted when I was little... what a great birthday!

sherri said...

What a beautiful cake, Joyce! I love it!!

Happy Birthday, sweet Helen.

I've felt the same the night before some of the kids birthdays...sappy and sentimental about saying goodbye to another year of them being a certain age. Time flies so quickly. These years are precious.

Grandma Ruby said...

Sorry I'm so late checking in. The cake is beautiful, Joyce. Yes, it's hard to see Helen growing up without her little sister to follow. No answers for this, are there? Love what you are doing with your family, making wonderful memories and loving them with all your heart.

Nicole said...

Hi Joyce - the cake is beautiful! Would you mind sharing the recipes and maybe a step by step guide if that's not too much to ask for? I am not the best baker :) but my little girl would absolutely love this.