Tuesday, January 6, 2009

More Projects!

After having my Aunt Ellen's nativity pattern for years, I finally made five-eighths of it this past October. Then Life happened, and I didn't finish it....yet. Maybe next October?? Thing was, it was fun to do, but stressful because of all the little "pieces-parts," in the words of Ms. Sara. My color-blind husband shrugged as I agonized over the exact color combinations on each figure and with the whole set. Coming next year: the angel of the Lord, a shepherd and the third wiseman.
Since that project was years in the making, I completed another, start to finish, just this very evening: a guitar shirt for Owen.

Here is the stencil ironed onto the shirt, along with my pattern. Note: Use freezer paper, not parchment paper! In my haste, I didn't look, and grabbed the wrong box. I tried to iron the parchment paper on, and was getting pretty peeved that it wouldn't stay down; then I realized my mistake. I had to painstakingly cut the whole thing out twice! While I was cutting with the Exacto knife, I had to remind myself to keep my mouth closed. I unconsciously stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating. Like, I've caught myself drooling into the bathroom sink as I'm scrubbing it out. Yikes! I didn't want any spit on my guitar stencil.

I sponged on paint, buzzed a hairdryer over it, and pulled off the stencil.
I can't wait until Owen sees it tomorrow! The lines were a bit fuzzy, but I think it was the nature of the fabric. It was 100% cotton, but it was woven to be softer, and I could see fibers sticking up all over the shirt. By the way, I paid 50 cents for this brand-new shirt!

And this is off the subject, but I couldn't resist. Jack and his buddy, Kitty. We still have yet to name her. She's mostly an outside cat, but loves to come inside too. We've tried to domesticate this one, but she won't use her litter box. Maybe when the kids get older, I'll be able to handle an indoor pet again.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

You always make me bang myself over the head with jealousy that I can't be as productive as you, you punk. Narrowed envious eyes. Here I am wallowing around on my must-do list that never gets accomplished, and there you are making manger scenes and cool boy shirts. Like to make a body sick. Humph.

In other, less green with envy news, love the kitty picture. Although, come to think about it, I want a cat too...

Deb said...

I LOVE the rockin' guitar stencil! O is one lucky boy to have a guitar with FLAMES!!

Jenn said...

LOVE the guitar shirt. I really think you need to open an etsy shop with all your cute creations. I would be a buyer for sure.

Anonymous said...

very cute. . . .as usual :) Jan

sherri said...

Love the shirt, Becky Homecky!

Anonymous said...

Great shirt design :) Its amazing what a little paint can do to some plain clothes...

Looks wonderful!