Friday, September 16, 2011

Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oh yes. I am one of those who loves a good salty-sweet combo. I admit to breaking pretzels into ice cream. I like leftover frosting schmeared between Ritz crackers. I love Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby--which involves peanut-butter-filled pretzel mix in. It doesn't take much to gain my affection.

Recently I got started on Pinterest, an online bulletin board system of keeping pictures that catch one's fancy from around the internet(s). (By the way, internet/internets, which is correct and why? Anyone?)

Last night I was browsing other people's recently pinned items and came across an absolutely fabulous idea--chocolate chip cookies with crushed pretzels baked into them.

Today I just had to make them. I waited until the kids were down for their rest, so I could work without interruption, and do a neater job of it in the process. But somehow this managed to happen: WHAT?! Yes. That is a bag of bread.
Apparently this is what can happen if you knock over your mixer, the switch hits a burner knob and the laid-over beaters start spinning with no one at the controls. Seriously, I cannot understand myself.

I dutifully chilled the dough, hoping to prevent the dreaded cookie spread. I carefully measured out dough, slightly flattened each mound and sprinkled away with Kosher salt.

The end result? I had to pour myself a glass of milk to find out. Then I had to brew a fresh pot of coffee to really find out. If YOU want to find out, here's my chicken-scratch recipe. But I wouldn't trust it. I still can't remember if I used baking soda like I was supposed to, or if I grabbed the baking powder instead.
Here's the link to the real cookie genius.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look YUMMY! Just to remind you, we have Life Group Sunday Night--hint hint! :) Melissa

Anonymous said...

love the pic of the smooshed up bread bag. . .and the cookies look awesome :) Jan

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I want to make these- minus the bread bag. :) Don't feel to bad, last night I basically threw a pizza off the pan and into the oven. What a mess.
Jen Bontrager

maren said...

The mixed bread is like something I'd do. So, I'm curious to know what you thought of them...they sound interesting...

Sharon Lovejoy said...

You are so funny and adorable.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Unknown said...

Those sound wonderful. Yes, I myself am addicted to pintrest.

Anonymous said...

I keep trying to comment; those cookies were fabulous...I made them for break fast on Yom Kippur and with butterscotch chips instead of peanut butter...they were a huge hit! Hope you are doing well and I really need a Joyce and family viewing!!!